Thursday 1 September 2011

My travels; a top 10 of experiences and thoughts

1) Towering far above all others, was of course my experience of working with Luna, the puma.  Something that now seems very surreal, it was an experience that only the marvellous spontaneity of travel could have led me to. Beyond dounbt, it was the most rewarding experience of my travels.




2) Summitting Huayna Potosi was almost equally rewarding and challenging.  Accomplishing something that you never thought yourself capable of and hence never attempted, is such a wonderful feeling of self-discovery.  The pain that went into slogging up that mountain is indescribible and was a real mental stretch for me.




3) On a personal level, developing independence and self-trust was a hugely fulfilling experience.

4) On a similiar note, learning not only to conquer my fears but to actively seek them out in order to do so.


5) The Santa Cruz four day trek in Hauaraz, Peru was an easy highlight,.  A gruelling, hunger filled trip of scaling passes and clambering mountains, it was a delight with a great bunch of people.






6) Macchu Picchu, of course, was astounding.  The part that sticks in my memory is lying on a terrace having a nap and awakening to that magnificant view.

7) Isla del Sol, Lago Titicaca, easily my favourite place of the whole trip.  The tranquillity, the stunning geology, the colours of the lake.  The whole place was very spiritual, and spending two days exploring this alone, walking a lot, writing a lot; was magical.




8)  The transport, especially in Bolivia.  After four mounths previously in Ecuador and Peru I wasn´t so fazed by bus horror stories.  But then came Bolivia.  Before long I began crossing my fingers everytime I embarked on a bus journey, not just to arrive at a reasonable hour but arrive alive!  From stalling in the snow and driving in the river, to cramming onto an already full bus at 1am to the numerous almost collisions, it was always an experience.



9)  Living in the jungle had its ups and downs.  Despite loving it, the insects in the end drove me mad.  Running through the jungle, spider webs and spiders in your face, colourful caterpillars and butterflies everywhere, wild cats roaming the jungle, wasp swarms, sweat bees in your eyes, snakes, tarantulas living in the kitchen, skin eating fish in the stream/shower; it was overwhelming to the senses.




10) Last but not least, the people.  The people I met, travelled with or only talked with for a night were the most special part of my travels.  Its thanks to them that everything was such a joy, for as calming and delightful as solitude is, it only takes you so far.

No comments:

Post a Comment